Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Book Review: Whiskey In A Teacup


full title: Whiskey In A Teacup: What Growing Up in the South Taught Me About Life, Love, and Baking Biscuits

I do a lot of driving these days between advising the chapter in Tallahassee and every time I go home for anything, and there have been baby showers and birthday parties just about every weekend lately. Listening to a book on cd always makes the ride go more quickly (if it is a good one at least), and it can help you not focus on high stress situations like the inevitable bottenecking of the Mobile Tunnel.

Usually books on cd are much longer than this one; it was only 3 cds. I finished it in a trip to MS and back. The reason it was so short was that it had recipes and pictures on a PDF file; that file was 272 pages when I opened it later.

This book is lovely.

She talked about hostessing a lot, and a major takeaway here is RSVPing. A quick no is better than a long maybe. Let your yes be yes and your no be no (Matt. 5:37).  It takes a lot of effort to plan a party and to leave someone hanging like that is just not nice. Also, do not be the last person to leave a dinner party.

She touches on how the people at your wedding are the ones that are supposed to help hold you to your wedding vows, and you should not invite anyone there for that sacred moment that you do not want to be there or even know.

Reese talks a lot about her grandmother, and I miss mine something fierce. Grandparents are lovely and the world is less sweet without them here.

I cannot wait to try out some of her recipes; I have a whole folder on my computer now of new recipes to try from this book.

Reese Witherspoon talks about growing up in the South (Nashville), Southern hospitality, her grandmother, and her favorite recipes. She tells you how to be a good hostess and guest.

Thank you notes and kindness seem to be a thing of the past lately, but Reese has not left them behind yet.

It is also fun to get an insight into her Hollywood life.

She mentions The Loveless Cafe, which I have been to, and that is pretty neat.

Reese lists Southern books and movies that she lives, and I want to check out the ones I have not seen. She made me want to rewatch Steel Magnolias.

It is just all around a fun book.

If you want to hear Reese talk about her book, check this out.

10/10 I highly recommend.

No comments: