Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Book Review: I Finally Finished Manhattan Beach


This book is a best-seller, and my sorority alumnae club including it in one of their book clubs. I started it back in the spring in SC and eventually finished it when I was settled in FL.

I finished it mostly because I like to finish what I started, and I wanted to see if it got any better.

I did not think this book was that great, but it was set in a great time period (World War II). The setting was my favorite part of the book.

I felt like the book went slow until about 3/4 of the way through. Then the point of view started changing, and you heard from other characters. The book got more exciting then, and I looked forward to listening to it at that point.

There are a few plot twists,  and I did like part of the ending. However, the actual very ending of the book left me unsure if the book actually ended. (I listened to it on tape so I could multi-task.)

It did get me more intrigued about diving during this time and made me think of my one friend that does underwater archaeology.

I give it a 5/10, and I do not recommend listening to it when you drive because it is not that riveting. I also felt like the main character was a bit flat; she needed a bit more personality. Actually, all of the characters could have used more fleshing out.

If you have read this one or end up reading it, let me know what you think. I do wonder what exactly so many people liked about this book. Let me know what it is for you.

No comments: