Thursday, December 5, 2019

Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken


Chicken, as I have said before in this blog, is not my favorite protein. However, I keep chicken on hand in the freezer because it is versatile.

Here is a way to make BBQ chicken without a grill or having to work with the meat a long time.

Ingredients:
1 c. canned tomato sauce
1/2 c. ketchup
2 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. brown sugar (not packed)
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 1/2 lb. raw boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved
optional: red pepper flakes (I always add the spice unless I have little children eating with me.)

Instructions:
1.  In a crock pot, mix all ingredients except chicken.  Add chicken and stir to coat.

2.  Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 7 or 8 hours, until chicken is fully cooked.

3.  Transfer chicken to a large bowl.   Shred with two forks - one to hold the chicken in place and the other to scrape across and shred it.  Return shredded chicken to the crock pot and mix well.

makes 7 servings

No comments: