Thursday, November 21, 2019

Book Review: Year of Yes


This book was suggested as a good read on something I was reading a while back. The local library had it on CD, which is my medium of choice for books these days. I was able to listen to this book in less than a week of cooking prep time.

It was delightful.

This book was read by the author, which is always nice to hear an author's words in her own voice. 

I have times in my life when I said," Yes," way too much. I am currently coming off from a period in which I said, "No" a lot and not necessarily all verbally but with life changes that changed every facet of my life. I went through several of the most influential life changes all at once. 

In 2020, I am ready to start saying, "Yes," more. 

One thing I think about a lot when I think about answering requests is Matthew 5:37 - "Let your 'yes' be yes and your 'no' be no..."

Keep your word. Be trustworthy. 

And let's be honest. There are some things you should say, "No," to. Some things and people are just plain bad for you. Be careful about what you say, "Yes," to.

I have not seen the top shows that Shonda writes for and she referenced them often during the book, and I was a bit lost during those parts, but for everything this book was deficit in for me, it made up for with what it had. She had parts of speeches she presented. There's good life advice in here.

What really spoke to me in this book is how Shonda wrote about being a FOD - first, only, different. Often in my life I have been an FOD. I do think it is important to experience being a FOD at least once to get out of your comfort zone so you know how it feels. It makes you a better, more empathetic person. But it does wear on you when you are often or always the FOD; Shonda talked about the loneliness of it all. However, she does talk about how you will find your tribe. 

It may take until your twenties, but they are out there. Maybe you will be in high school when you find your first true friend, but it does get better. 

What will you say, "YES," to in 2020?

No comments: