Sunday, November 17, 2019

Korean Meatloaf



I admit that meatloaf was not always my favorite thing to eat probably because it was usually served in the school cafeteria, and although I usually really liked eating cafeteria food in school, theirs was bland. It was like eating a hunk of flavorless meat. Flavor is everything around here.

Once I started making my own meatloaf with a good glaze, I liked meatloaf a lot more.

I saw Rachel Ray making Korean meatloaf recently. Well, I caught the end of the episode when she was putting into the oven and missed the preparing of it. So I set out to make my own.

This is what I made, and truly, I never want to eat meatloaf another way. It is delicious. It will be put on meal rotation.

Let me know if you try it! :)

Ingredients:


Meatloaf:
2 lbs. ground pork
1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
1 large onion, finely diced
8 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp. of the hot oil I wrote about a while back.
5 green onions, minced
2 tsp. kosher salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten to combine
2 tsp, vegetable oil

Glaze:
3 tbsp. apricot jam
2 tbsp. hot oil
1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp. honey
2 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. sesame oil
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic powder or 2 cloves garlic, minced

Instructions:

Pre-heat your oven to 350F.

Film a pan with the vegetable oil. Add the minced onions and cook slowly until translucent. (This takes about 10 minutes. )

Add the garlic to the onions and cook another 2 minutes. Remove the onion mixture from the heat, transfer to a bowl, and place in the refrigerator to cool.

Combine the cooled onion mixture with the minced green onion, hot oil, eggs and kosher salt. Stir to combine thoroughly.

Put the ground pork and breadcrumbs in a large bowl. Add the onion/hot oil mixture and mix gently. You want it evenly red. You do not want it packed into a brick. 

Transfer the meatloaf mix to a 9.5 inch by 5 inch loaf pan (or free form it on a cookie sheet ).

Place the meatloaf in the oven. Cook until you get to an internal temperature of 140F, about 40 minutes. 

While the meatloaf cooks, make the glaze. Combine all the ingredients and stir thoroughly.

When the meatloaf reaches 140F, remove it from the oven and spoon the glaze over the meatloaf evenly. 

Return the glazed meatloaf to the oven and cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 160F. (This takes about 10-15 minutes.) 

Enjoy!

No comments: