Thursday, September 15, 2011

I'm right where I am supposed to be

I was not always sure that I was supposed to be in Columbia, SC. I rather stupidly applied only to USC because I felt drawn here; the Horseshoe did it to me. Sometimes I look back at parts of my life and think, "Wow, I really did that?!?!" That's how I feel about the past year. This time last year I had no idea I would be here. I knew that I had been accepted and was traipsing around Italy with Mandy. I knew nothing of the adventures and people that awaited me in the Palmetto State.

Beginnings are always scary, and last semester was no different. I felt what was probably, in retrospect, culture shock. I was a bit dazed and confused. Many changes happened at one time. My life is COMPLETELY different from a year ago, and I am really thankful.

I am doing things I always wanted to do here. Since I was about five years old, I wanted to live by myself. (I know I'm weird.) I think everyone should live by oneself once, even if for just a year. I am learning to be my own best friend. I don't have to replace, only add. I am building my South Carolina family of friends. I have met some of the nicest people here that have warmed my heart. Sure, it is not the same. But life here is good. For the first time in a long time, I feel free.

I feel that I'm right where I'm supposed to be.

No comments: