Thursday, September 15, 2011

not just a phone call away

Today is my great-grandmother's birthday. I had my hand on the phone to call her. Then I remembered that she's no longer alive, and not only that, her house is not even there anymore thanks to the hurricane. It's weird how in that fleeting second you can forget major things such as that. For a split second, I was thinking I really have to get in touch with her. Sadly, she is no longer a phone call away. Who is just a phone call away today that I should be calling? It made me think of calls I should be making.

Secondly, the Jewish have a thing called the Day of Atonement, or Yom Kippur. It is basically one last chance to make things right before your sins are sealed in the record of your life. It is a day to make amends and fix the wrongs and make them right in one's life. If you had a day of atonement, what would you do? It would be amazing if for one day the world practiced this. What a difference it would make in the community, state, nation, and world at large!

No comments: