Thursday, September 15, 2011

weekend


I went to see Terra this weekend. I miss her so much. I feel like she understands me the most out of all my friends. I can talk to her about anything, and it's just so refreshing to be around someone that understands you so well. She's been my first/best friend since we were in the womb. I hear that we jumped in our mother's stomaches when they were together. We go together like hamburgers and fries. I, of course, am the hamburger.

I always have a lot to say when I'm driving, but when I get to the computer or paper, I never have much to say. Maybe it's writer's block. I thought about a lot during the four and a half hour drive today. I've driven most of that drive a million times because of freshman year. A lot of feelings and memories flooded my mind. How fast time flies! I thought about driving by the W to see things, but I decided against it. I really didn't want to be in the car any longer than I had to, but I did discover a shortcut that I never realized in the year I drove back and forth nearly every weekend. Too late to help...

Freshman year: Courtney is married with a baby. Val and Brittany are on their way to getting married. Joey's hopefully in a better place. Geez, how quickly all of it has changed!!

I don't regret freshman year. I met a lot of amazing people that I mostly keep in touch with still, but I'm so glad I went to Southern. It just feels right for me. I love it here. I love South Mississippi. I love being near the water. I love fresh seafood.

I love Terra. I miss how things used to be. If I could freeze certain times in my life and keep them, while throwing out the ugly parts, it would be amazing. But then again, that wouldn't be life.

Happiness is an interesting concept. Do we really know what makes us happy? Are are we always looking forward to the next thing, the next step that we forget the present? I try to live in the present. The play Our Town that I read in high school really spoke to me. I felt like I was always waiting for the next thing, the next class, the next break, the next this, the next that, to enjoy the here and now. Do I know what makes me happy or do I just think I do? Is it an illusion? What is happiness? I think I know more of what I don't like than what I do like.

I am going to try to live more in the present. I can't change the past. I can't bring people back. I can't live like it's senior year of undergrad again. Although, I can't help but think besides the whole Katrina disaster, those were the best times. I had people that I cared a lot about still here.

Here's to the next "good times," if I even realize when they are when they come. Everything seems better in retrospect. I guess, here's to today. Here's to the future. Here's to better memories still left unmade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJK4eZgKMd4

No comments: