Thursday, September 15, 2011

Thoughts inspired by The Shack 1

I recently read The Shack by William Paul Young. It brought up a lot of thoughts and memories for me. Even though I have not been through what the main character Mack has been, I, myself, have gone through Great Sadness. The first was through the Hurricane Katrina experience, and I will get to that in another blog. My second Great Sadness was just last year.

"As he sat mesmerized by the fire and wrapped in its warmth, he prayed, mostly prayers of thanksgiving. He had been given so much. Blessed was probably the right word. He was content, at rest, and full of peace. Mack did not know it then, but within twenty-four hours his prayers would change, drastically."

-The Shack, pg. 39

It seems like I am always at the top of my game before things start going crazy and all wrong. However, things always look better on the other side of Great Sadness. Was it worth the pain and tears? I cannot say. I definitely do not feel like Rascal Flatts,
"And I wouldn't change a thing
I'd walk right back through the rain
Back to every broken heart
On the day that it was breakin'
And I'd relive all the years
And be thankful for the tears
I've cried with every stumbled step."

-Here

No way. Count me out of the pain.

In the discussion of the book, we talked about how we view God because in the book, God appears differently than the main character expects. For me, as far back as four years old, I thought of God as the pawn holder. I pictured the world flat as a game piece up in heaven with people as pawns that God moved around.

No comments: