Thursday, September 15, 2011

nostalgia

I've been thinking about the past a lot lately. There are certain times of the year that I reflect more - anniversaries of the death of a loved one, my birthday. Songs also have a way of bringing me back to times and places.

Most of life is full of waiting and mundane. Why do I look back with nostalgia? Even though a lot of bad things happened in certain periods in my life, my memory has a way of painting over the bad parts. I think I can actually make myself forget what I don't want to remember. Much of life is like the visuals in this video, which takes me back to 2002 every time I hear it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8aCFYW5eUU

Why do I look back with fondness? Gratitude that it is over? Thanksgiving for surviving?

Growing up happens in a heartbeat. One day you're in diapers, the next day you're gone. But the memories of childhood stay with you for the long haul. I remember a place, a town, a house like a lot of other houses, a yard like a lot of other yards, on a street like a lot of other streets. And the thing is, after all these years, I still look back, with wonder. -The Wonder Years

Oh nostalgia...

No comments: