Thursday, September 15, 2011

words that don't really make a point

I had to find you, Tell you I need you, Tell you I set you apart
Tell me your secrets, And ask me your questions, Aww let’s go back to the start
Runnin’ in circles, Comin’ our tails, Heads on the science apart
Nobody said it was easy
It’s such a shame for us to part
Nobody said it was easy
No one ever said it would be this hard
Aww take me back to the start


That's lyrics to Coldplay's "Scientist." I feel like this song right now. I have a tendency to worry, and that would be my major character flaw. Sometimes I have to write to be able to go to bed, and I think this is one of those nights. I really don't have anything to say when I start, but I just let my fingers do the talking. I really want to write a book. I want to get a Ph.D. to do it, but I really think I'd be a much better author than professor. I grew up in Missisippi, after all. We have to entertain ourselves by telling stories. I have over twenty years of experience. :)

So I'm back at home for a bit. This has been the longest I have been here since the storm. Sometimes being down these streets and being in this house, even though it was completely redone and doesn't look the same, I get a glimpse of myself from years past. I'm not really sure if the old Tabitha and the new Tabitha would have gotten along. In fact, they probably would have gotten on each other's nerves. I sometimes shudder to think about it.

So much has changed since I left for college. I've gotten a passport and added stamps to it. I've seen so much more of the country. I've tried new things. I've met new people. Actually, I think I learned how to live life. So much of my past had been run by fear of the unknown from my mother and my grandmother telling me what I cannot do. "You can't do that. You're too little." "You can't do that. You're a girl." "You can't go there. It's unsafe." "Don't talk to strangers."

Well, the talking to strangers rule was the first rule I ditched. Strangers is such a strange word. Is somebody inevitably strange because you don't know them? No. Unfamiliar, yes. But they don't have to be strange. I'm glad I met strangers; they showed me more to life than the narrow-minded path I had once called familiar. After all, everybody we meet was once a "stranger" at first, anyway?

I don't really know the point I'm trying to make, if any. So much has changed on the Coast. I miss old place, but it would have probably changed anyway. Deep down in my heart, I always knew I couldn't stay here. It would have changed anyway. Things always do. And change is not bad.

No comments: