Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Asparagus with Mock Hollandaise Sauce


I read Reese Witherspoon's book earlier this fall, and this was one of her recipes. Reese sure does know how to entertain and how to cook (or at least has good recipes for it).

I wanted to try this one out. It was good, but I think I will save the hollandaise sauce for the steak. I wanted to see what it tasted like with asparagus, but I do think they both taste better separate.

Check it out for yourself, though.

Ingredients:
2 bunches thick asparagus spears, trimmed
2 tbsp kosher salt

Sauce:
1/2 stick butter
freshly grated zest of 1 lemon
1 cup mayonnaise (Hellman's and Blue Plate are my favorites.)
1 tsp Dijon mustard
freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon
1/4 tsp salt
pinch of cayenne pepper (I used more than a pinch.)

Directions:
1. Fill a large saute pan with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the asparagus and salt and cook for 6 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and drain the asparagus. Immediately transfer the spears to a bowl of ice water to shock them and lock in the bright cool color. When cool, drain again.

2. Melt the butter and add the lemon zest. Set aside. In a food processor or blend, blend the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt, and cayenne pepper. Slowly drizzle in the melted butter a little at a time to incorporate. Taste and adjust seasoning.

3. The asparagus may be served at room temperature or reheated in the saute pan filled with simmering water for 1 minute. Drain and arrange on a warm serving platter. Serve with the sauce.

Serves 6 to 8

No comments: