Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Shrimp & Corn Chowder



It has been raining here a lot lately with tornado warnings often. I am actually listening to a weather alert as I write this. Soup sounded like a nice, comforting meal for a nasty, rainy day.

I usually start my meal planning thinking about the protein. I had some shrimp in the freezer, and it had been a while since we had them. I like to keep the meat option rotating. I cook chicken way more than I like it; it is my least favorite meat. However, I do LOVE seafood.

I had most of the ingredients on hand, and there was not a ton of prep work.

It turned out delicious.

While I was cooking it, it smelled a bit like crab boil seasoning, which was nice.


Ingredients:
4 slices bacon, diced
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 cloves garlic, diced
1 onion, diced
2 teaspoons smoked paprika, or more, to taste
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional - (I used them.)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups corn kernels, frozen, canned or roasted
1 bay leaf (I left this out.)
1/4 cup heavy cream

Directions:
Heat a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Drain excess fat, reserving 1 tablespoon.

Add shrimp to the stockpot, and cook, stirring occasionally, until pink, about 2-3 minutes; set aside.

Add garlic and onion to the stockpot, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in paprika, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Whisk in chicken stock, corn and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 12-15 minutes; discard bay leaf. Add heavy cream and puree with an immersion blender.

Serve immediately with shrimp, garnished with bacon and parsley leaves, if desired.

No comments: