Saturday, October 19, 2019

Maque Choux



This is a Creole dish that has many variations. It can be sweet like a dessert or very spicy or even a blend of both. I kind of did a blend of both flavors because I am a mixer.

I got inspired by a Zatarain's Instagram post earlier this week and the fact that I had these ingredients in the house and needed a new side dish for some leftovers.

This is how I made mine, but you can mix up yours and do it another way.

1 medium onion
2 stalks of celery
1 clove garlic, minced
4 ears of corn, cut from the cob
1/2 pound sausage (I recommend andouille. I used hot Italian turkey sausage because I had it leftover from a previous recipe this week.)
1 can Rotel, drained
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
Creole (or Cajun) seasoning to taste



In a large skillet cook sausage over medium heat. Remove from pan and set aside, but keep the grease. Add the onion and celery and cook until they are tender (about 5 minutes). Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.

Add the corn, Rotel, and heavy cream and stir to combine. Add the salt & sausage and reduce the heat to a low simmer. Sprinkle in sugar if you want it to be of the sweeter variety. Cook, uncovered, for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the corn is cooked through and most of the liquid has evaporated.

Adjust seasoning to taste, adding Creole or Cajun seasoning, if desired. Allow to rest about 5 minutes to allow the mixture to thicken before serving.

Serves 6

No comments: