Friday, August 23, 2019

Cold Tangerines



I guess you can say I am kind of on a Shauna Niequist reading kick right now. I read a second book from her recently - Cold Tangerines. It is actually her first one, so I am reading them out of order (not that this matters because they are not a series). However, it is was interesting to read about her hopes and dreams secondly and already know how they turned out by reading the later book first. Life usually does not work out that way.

I think Shauna's style of writing is what I aspire to do as a writer. It is so real, raw, and entertaining. There were times that I laughed aloud. There were other times I had to read what I was giggling at to Jared, and he found it funny, which usually is not the case with us.

Like Bittersweet, the book was about the highs and lows of life.  This one focused on enjoying the good times and just savoring life because you do not know how much time you have. Everyday celebration is beautiful.

Each chapter reads like a short story. It is a book you can easily pick up and put down without losing track because every few pages is a story in itself, even if it is divided into four parts. I just used the four parts as a good measure of where to stop off for the night.

It is a quick, easy read. I highly recommend it.

Also, side note: if your public library does not have what you want, check out the interlibrary loan program. That is how I got this book. Thank you, public library system.

Hear the beautiful introduction read by the author here.

No comments: