Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Low Carb Chronicles: Italian Style Meat Patties



This was another estate sale recipe. I have been missing spaghetti, and this was pretty much spaghetti minus the noodles. Zoodles would have been a great addition. I also wished I had garlic bread with it, which is something we are not eating right now.

This can be low carb if you are careful with the spaghetti sauce. Pay attention to the sugar content.

It was more tangy than I usually have my spaghetti but still good.

It is super easy.

Making the patties reminded me of making them with my grandmother in her kitchen listening to music from the 50s. It made my heart happy. This was the most labor intensive part of the whole process.

Without further ado, here is the recipe.

1 lb. ground beef
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons minced onion
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1/8 teaspoon oregano
1 (15 oz.) can Chef Boy-Ar-Dee spaghetti sauce with meat (Note: I did not actually find this in the store. Do your best with whatever spaghetti sauce you want to use.)
1 tablespoon shortening

Mix together first five ingredients. Stir in 2 tablespoons of spaghetti sauce. Mix well. Shape into 4 patties. Melt shortening. Brown meat. Pour off excess fat. Add remaining spaghetti sauce. Cover; cook gently 15 minutes. Makes 4 servings.

No comments: