Thursday, August 29, 2019

Low Calorie Chronicles: Peppermint Bark Fudge



We are not avoiding all carbs right now just mostly. I have added some reasonable desserts into the rotation lately. This one is only 67 calories per serving!

I have to admit that it does not really taste like fudge. I still liked it a lot, though. Jared said that he liked it first after it had just been chilled for two hours. I ended up keeping it in the freezer for a refreshing treat. It is hot out here.

It says it makes 36 servings, and I guess it could if you cut it really small.

I used milk chocolate chips instead of white.

I could have used more peppermints, which means more calories. I like peppermint flavor a lot, though. I already have peppermint mocha coffee creamer in the fridge.

This recipe is from a book I got for free at the Richland County Library Sale because when you do the summer reading program, which I highly recommend, and also has an adult track, you get a free item from the quarterly book sale. This was my last find from there.  It is from the Hungry Girl To the Max! cookbook (author Lisa Lillien); this cookbook seems appropriate because I am mostly hungry, except when I have a sinus issue like I do currently.

Note: This recipe uses pumpkin, which is another one of my favorite flavors, and I suspect brings it the low calorie count, but I can definitely taste it. If you do not like pumpkin, you might want to skip this one.

Anyway, without further ado, here is the recipe.

You'll need: 8-inch by 8-inch baking pan, nonstick spray, large bowl, aluminum foil
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 35 minutes
Chill: 2 hours

Ingredients: 
one 18.3 oz. box fudge brownie mix
2 c. canned pure pumpkin
3 tbsp. white chocolate chips, roughly chopped
1 standard size candy cane or 5 mini candy canes, lightly crushed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8-inch by 8-inch baking pan with nonstick spray.

In a large bowl, mix brownie mix with pumpkin until completely smooth and uniform. (Batter will be thick.) Spread mixture into the baking pan.

Bake until the edges are slightly firm and top center is dry to the touch, about 35 minutes.

Sprinkle with chopped chocolate chips and crushed candy cane(s). Using a spatula, press down on toppings to help them adhere.

Let fudge cool. Cover the pan with foil and refrigerate until completely chilled, at least 2 hours. Cut into squares and enjoy!

(makes 36 servings)

No comments: