Thursday, August 8, 2019

The Worst Recipe/Food Challenge/Can You Finish This?/Cucumber Salad




I told you in the last post how we got recipes from an estate sale in the last post. Well, this recipe was so odd, it was almost calling out to me to try it.

I am pretty sure a lot of these recipes were in the 60s, and they liked Jello. There is even a meat Jello recipe I saw. Anyway, this was listed under "salads" in the recipe box.

This was so weird that I knew it either was super gross or surprisingly good.

The first time I made it, I made a mistake. I mentioned how the recipes sometimes listed odd things. This one said "salad dressing." I searched on the internet to see what a recipe meant when it said this and only got recipes to make salad dressings. I poked around the supermarket to see if there was something I was missing on the spice aisle. I got nowhere.

So I thought, "What goes well with cucumbers? Ranch dressing."

I made the recipe with ranch dressing, and I told Jared that the dog (Buddy) might end up finishing the bowl.

Well, the dog liked it.

I could not let it go. Jared said that they probably meant Miracle Whip in the recipe. I tried it again this way. It was improved, but still the only good part was the lime jello and cottage cheese. And who needs lime flavored cottage cheese?

My nephews and niece all ate a spoonful of it, and I was proud of them for trying it.

I hate wasting food, but after Buddy had a throwing up incident recently I could not risk him throwing up green jello.

So the wildlife in the backyard finished it off.

But I am wondering - is there anyone out there in my readership that can finish this? Please let me know if you try it out and can manage to finish it.

Here's the recipe.

Cucumber Salad

1 pkg. lime jello dissolved in 1 c. hot water (I used the small package. I'd suggest the bigger one.)
Refrigerate until it starts to thicken.
Add 1 cup chopped cucumber.
3/4 c. salad dressing
1/4 c. chopped onions
12 oz. or 1# carton cottage cheese

Mix well and refrigerate.


No comments: