Monday, August 12, 2019

Spinach Balls



This was another estate sale recipe. Although it did have dressing mix in it, it was not excessively carbohydrates-laden, so I tried it.

It says it makes 50-60 balls. I think I made about 50.

This one says it is from the recipe file of Sara Hathcock, but it also says Faith Baptist Church in parenthesis.

This would make a nice party dish, and it is a vegetarian option.

I did think it would have been nice to have crumbled sausage mixed up in these balls, too.

I did wish it had more of a kick, but I usually always want more spice in any food I eat.

Here's the recipe:

2 (10 oz.) pkgs frozen chopped spinach
1 small onion, chopped fine
3/4 c. oleo
1 tbsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
2 c. herb-seasoned dressing mix
4 eggs, beaten
1 tsp thyme, optional
1 small pkg almonds, chopped - optional

Cook spinach according to directions on package. Drain. Set aside.

Melt margarine, sauté onion, remove from heat. Add remaining ingredients and spinach. Mix well.

Refrigerate about 1 hour or until mixture is still enough to roll into balls. Use about 1 tablespoon for each ball. Place on cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes at 325.

Freeze leftovers. Balls can be frozen before cooking. Freeze on cookie sheet then store in bags until ready for use.

No comments: